Rivian took up solid-state batteries, Fisker refused them

Rivian took up solid-state batteries, Fisker refused them

FineAuto

Startup Fisker, which a few years ago promised to introduce electric vehicles with solid-state batteries and a range of more than 800 kilometers, has stopped working on this technology. The founder of the startup, Henrik Fisker, said this in an interview with The Verge.

According to Fisker, he made his promises at a time when work on the creation of new batteries was 90% fulfilled. Unfortunately, it turned out to be much more difficult to overcome the remaining 10%, the entrepreneur admitted. Therefore, at the turn of 2019 and 2020, his startup completely abandoned a promising idea.

At the same time, on the website of another startup – the Rivian company – there are several new vacancies for specialists in solid-state batteries. They talk about hiring engineers to develop a new type of power supply in a center in California. It seems to be about work for the future, since the first Rivian models, which are expected this summer, will receive classic lithium-ion batteries.

Now almost all electric vehicles use lithium-ion power supplies. Their disadvantage is the high price, as well as the fact that the electrolyte in them is in the form of a gel. This is a very unstable state of aggregation that reacts poorly to temperature changes.

In cold weather, lithium-ion batteries significantly lose their effectiveness, since the gel simply thickens. In addition, such power supplies are afraid of overheating, which limits their ability to charge them with high current.

In solid-state batteries, the electrolyte is in a solid state. He is not so afraid of frost or overheating, moreover, such batteries promise to be cheaper to manufacture. The problem is that while scientists all over the world cannot create serial solid-state batteries suitable for electric vehicles.

The only electric vehicle we know of with such batteries is the Mercedes electric bus, but solid-state batteries are also available there as an option and do not have the expected advantages over lithium-ion batteries.

Add your comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *